This dish is very easy to make and can be made in advance, saving the baking until just before you need it. This version doesn’t taste low fat, but it is. It’s delicious, and is always a big hit. As i’m only cooking for two these days, i’m guaranteed some great lunches this week.
- 500grams uncooked half white half wheat penne
- 2 packages baby button mushrooms
- 1 package broccolini
- 1 heaping tablespoon ricotta cheese (preferably lowfat)
- 2 tbsp lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I prefer panko)
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil spread or margarine
- Cook pasta until al dente. Add the chopped broccoli to the pasta during the final minute of cooking. Drain and return to pot. Add ricotta, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, 1 tbsp olive oil spread or margarine, and egg, and stir until combined. In a separate pan, cook the baby button mushrooms, and then add to the pasta. Pour pasta into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray to prevent sticking. If making in advance, cover with foil and place in the fridge.
- To finish, melt 1 tsp margarine/spread and mix into breadcrumbs. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the pasta. Place pasta in the oven, covered in foil, and bake at 375/ gas mark 6 for 30 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook another five minutes until the top starts to brown. Serve immediately.