The weather in England has been so cold and rainy this summer, that my body continues to crave wintery comfort food. Last night’s dinner was a very lovely, moorish pasta dish.
Penne with Mushrooms, Aubergine and Veggie Sausage
- 500 grams half white half wheat penne
- 300g closed cup mushrooms, cleaned and sliced in half
- 1 large aubergine
- 2 boxes organic chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 box frozen Linda McCartney veggie sausages
- handful of light shredded mozzarella cheese
- Umami Paste (optional)
- Parmesan Cheese, to serve (optional)
- Cook the penne according to directions, until al dente.
- Bake the sausages in the oven according to directions (around 20 minutes). When done, slice.
- In a large skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil and fry the garlic for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir fry until the liquid has been absorbed (5-7 minutes). Add the aubergine and stir frequently, until aubergine is tender and cooked through. Add the chopped tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes until everything is very hot. Add a good squeeze of Umami Paste, and season with salt and pepper. Add the sliced veggie sausages and stir until coated.
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and mix together. Pour into a baking dish. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top. Bake until melted (10 minutes or so). Serve with sprinkles of Parmesan cheese.